How to find an address in Istanbul is the most essential one of the "things to know" list, otherwise map and you will stare into each other endlessly..
An address in Istanbul,
- Starts with the avenue name, (street or avenue = “caddesi”)
- Continues with the street name (a smaller street that crosses the avenue), “street = sokak”
- Gives you the number of the building, displayed on the door,
- Gives you the number of the place, if there are more then one sections in the same building, (for example no: 5/9 means that, the building has number 5 on its entrance door and the section in the building you are looking for, has number 9 on its door.)
- Tells you the neighbourhood or district and the city at the end.
When you're looking to figure out how to find an address in Istanbul, another word you may encounter is “karsisi”, which means “across from”.
Where you can’t seem to figure out an address, just ask. You will find plenty of people on the street offering to give you a hand, anyone would be happy to help you.
Asking directions is part of the local culture and a great way to get local tips…
None of the maps are 100% accurate, but you may not even notice what is missing because signs for museums, hotels, and restaurants are everywhere.